From Healthy News Blog:
How can you build up a strong immune system to fight pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses such as COVID-19? Good nutrition is key!
- Avoid these: Alcohol, fried foods, sweetened foods or beverages.
- Eat these foods: local, fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. They have natural Vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that help to support our immune cells and protect them from getting damaged. The fiber in vegetables and fruit helps to feed the beneficial bacteria in your gut, which is where 70 percent of your immune system resides. Vegetables can be cooked or raw.
- 2 cups of colorful vegetables, 2 cups of leafy greens*, and 2 cups of cruciferous* and thiol* vegetables, and a rainbow of 1-3 colorful fruits
- Mushrooms: increase macrophages (immune cells) around our nose and mouth. Mushrooms are also a natural source of Vitamin D.
- Fresh herbs. They contain natural antimicrobial properties and are power-packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Wash all fruit and vegetables (including organic) because of pesticide and herbicide residue, which can increase the need for more antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.