- Wash your hands before handling contact lenses.
- Clean & disinfect contact lenses every day.
- Rinse and air dry your contact lens case every day. Replace your contact lens case every 3 months. **Bacteria can grow in a dirty lens case, and cause an eye infection.
- Saline solution can be used to rinse lenses, but is not designed for storage and disinfection. Don’t use water or saliva!
- If you do not wear your lenses every day, be sure to change the solution every 2-3 days. Ask about daily disposables, which work well for occasional wear.
- Please change lenses every 2-4 weeks, depending on the lens. The more frequently you change lenses, the healthier for your eyes.
- Your contact lens prescription is valid for 2 years, unless there is a medical reason to be seen sooner for the health of your eyes.
- REMOVE CONTACT LENSES BEFORE SHOWERING, SWIMMING, & ENTERING A HOT TUB.
- Risks for serious eye infections, like acanthamoeba, that cause permanent vision loss include: sleeping in lenses; extending the life of the lens; showering in lenses; swimming in lenses. not cleaning your contact lens case. not replacing your contact lens case frequently. using tap water to rinse lenses.
- Mascara: apply after contact lenses are in. Take your lenses our first, then remove mascara/make-up. Avoid waterproof and fiber-based mascaras. Use oil-based cleansers to remove. Toss your mascara after 3 months.
Please remove your contact lenses if you are experiencing pain, discomfort, redness, sudden blurred or fuzzy vision, increased sensitivity to light, or excessive tearing or eye discharge. Call us right away for an appointment. Don’t risk losing your vision by waiting!
Check out All About Vision: How to Care for Soft Contact Lenses