- Watery eyes
- Red eyes
- A gritty, burning or stinging sensation in the eyes
- Eyelids that appear greasy
- Itchy eyelids
- Red, swollen eyelids
- Flaking of the skin around the eyes
- Crusted eyelashes upon awakening
- Eyelid sticking
- More frequent blinking
- Sensitivity to light
- Eyelashes that grow abnormally (misdirected eyelashes)
- Loss of eyelashes
Patient Self-Care plays a major role in the management of blepharitis.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids, 1 to 3 g, two to three times daily.
2. Heat packs. Five minutes of moist heat at bedtime and first thing in the morning. Four times a day for two weeks, then twice a day for a month, and twice a week after that.
3. Eyelid scrubs
4. Blinking exercises: get the Donald Korb blinking exercise App on Itunes