Dear Friends: In our practice, we focus on early prevention and screening for glaucoma. But did you know that macular degeneration is much more prevalent than glaucoma? We have advanced diagnostic technology, such as fundus photography and OCT testing, as well as MPOD testing to assess your risk for and presence of macular degeneration (AMD). Family history is a big factor. In addition to regular eye examinations, here are tips to prevent this devastating eye disease!
- Stop smoking! Smoking and tobacco use is the #1 risk factor for development and progression of AMD.
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Just as the sun ages your skin, it also ages your eyes. Wear UV blocking eye glasses to prevent damage from long term sun exposure.
- Eat a healthy diet. Nutrients from our foods can protect our eyes from damage. We offer Eyepromise Lutein/Zeaxanthin and EZ Tears Omega 3 supplements at an affordable price. Eat fresh, whole, and unprocessed foods, fruits and vegetables. Eat fatty fish rich in Omega 3 oils at least twice per week (salmon, sardines, and mackerel). Choose whole grain pastas, rice, and bread over their “white” counterparts.
- Get regular exercise. Sedentary lifestyle and obesity are linked to increased risk for the development and progression of AMD.
- Take control of vascular risk factors, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
With our new ONLINE PORTAL, you can fill out your medical information and eye history before your eye exam. This helps us prepare for your visit and enables us to provide the highest level of care possible! Sincerely, Lisa Shin, O.D. phone & text: (505) 662-9681
email (office): firstname.lastname@example.org